Media Arts Thesis: Holiday Grunt Work
Well, this is my first late blog post so far...I guess I'm glad it's taken me this long to get to this point.
The reason this post is late is because last night I spent some time getting together the grunt work I have to do until the end of the semester, since I can't ever have a true holiday it seems.
At this point with thesis, I am ready to put together the Eko video component of my thesis. It's going to involve some serious grunt work; I'm going to have to record voice over, I'm going to have to make short little animations for the video, and I'm going to have to figure out how to add in a system to make the eliminations less punishing, since all of the feedback from the game found the elimination needlessly harsh (which I would be able to defend) and counter-productive to their education (which I cannot defend). Thus, I'll have to figure out how to tweak my elimination system to make it not work against the educational purposes of my game.
What's more, I found out that I needed to tweak the card system; namely, when I divided up the fragments of history by category, it lead to certain players feeling like they would check out of rounds, which I cannot accept for an educational game. What's more, I found my new solution (giving each player a combination of cards from each category) held more to the educational philosophy that worked so well for me in the International Baccalaureate program, in that it encouraged a combination of knowledge types in order to encourage critical thinking.
At this point, I have no changes I can make for the mid-year show. I am starting to do research for what I can do next semester, and I am considering making the interactive portion a Unity game after all (albeit one with super simple coding) so that I can enter my game into festivals like Indiecade. Still, at this point, I can't get too ahead of myself, and making it to midterm is my priority.